Caíño Tinto by Bodegas Albamar is a distinctive acidic red wine.
It is part of the O Esteiro trilogy, and among the three, this wine is known for its high acidity and susceptibility to botrytis. This makes it a high-maintenance grape, requiring more attention than any other variety. The Caiño grapes are harvested from multiple small plots in O Esteiro with vines ageing 100years. The soil composition in the vineyards is decomposed granite, sand and a small amount of clay.
The grapes are manually harvested in whole bunches and then crushed in large barrels. During the alcoholic fermentation, the grapes are trodden on twice a day before being pressed. The wine is left to settle in stainless steel for several days and then it is transfered to French oak barrels where it is left to age for 12 months. The wine then rests for a few more months in stainless steel tanks before bottling. Caiño Tinto is bottled without fining or stabilization.
Here's a taste of what you can expect from this wine:
- Appearance: It has a cherry-red colour.
- Aromas: On the nose, the wine is characterized by a distinct note of red fruits, along with balsamic and mineral tones. The barrel ageing is well-integrated and provides complexity to the aroma.
- Palate: This wine is fresh, juicy, and fruity, with a light body, marked acidity, and long-lasting taste. It is a vibrant wine with a taste of redcurrant, pomegranate, and green herbs, which is tangy and refreshing.
- Serving Temperature: 15 ºC.
- Pairing: Caíño Tinto is ideal for pairing with fatty meat.
It also ages well if given time to mature in the bottle.
Albamar O Esteiro Caiño
VINTAGE - 2020
D.O. - Rías Baixas
GRAPE - Caiño Tinto
ALCOHOL - 11%